Friday, October 29, 2010

"I was watching BET one night, and they were interviewing a man about jazz music. He said jazz music was invented by the first generation out of slavery. I thought that was beautiful because, while it is music, it is very hard to put on paper; it is so much more a language of the soul …

The first generation out of slavery invented jazz music. It is a music birthed out of freedom. And that is the closest thing I know to Christian spirituality. A music birthed out of freedom. Everybody sings their song the way they feel it, everybody closes their eyes and lifts up their hands."

"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.

After that I liked jazz music.

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way."

[via donald miller, blue like jazz]

read the book on the way to shanghai (oh btw i ended up bringing two books for the hol, despite the 'ambitious' tag. am thankful i did :D the flight was about 5 hours, by which time i almost finished with one book.

this was easy reading, much like reading a blog, but it left me wanting by the end of it. like how he has described jazz music, the book didn't resolve. maybe the hype of "more than one million copies sold" got to me. maybe it wasn't meant to be. ah well. appreciate his honesty though. a lot of us are jerks but we wouldn't admit it, what more have it published and publicized. also i could relate to his "in my own world" thingy -- not the best of traits by any measure, but it's just who he is. heh - he feels like a friend now. the book's gonna be made into a movie -- wonder how it would translate on screen. it would not likely be shown here, so here's to torrents and downloading.

happy friday!

duke ellington & john coltrane :: in a sentimental mood

No comments:

Post a Comment