Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lenten resolve

D asked me if I was giving up Eminem for Lent this year like what I did with Leehom last year, and I said no. I am not as obsessed with Em at this point as much as I did with LH back then. Mostly because there isn't much left for me to get my claws on - I was done devouring everything he has to give months ago. Gosh, I speak like a scavenger : | Still, when it comes to him, no news is good news. He's still in the radar nevertheless, like the rest.. Ah, this phase will always be an enigma to me :)

Anyway it's 2 weeks into Lent now. My thing this year is to give up social media in the evening and focus on reading. It's next to impossible not to be on them at work, and what I really want out of this is to get my reading going. So, there haven't been Quora, 9gag, Facebook, Instagram, Blogger (hence my absence =), Wikipedia, IMDB, etc for me from 9pm onwards the past 14 days and shouldn't be any three weeks to come. I'll have to admit that it's liberating so not have my face being tanned nightly by the glow of my phone.

I've selected four books to complete during this time. I've started on three of them, which I shouldn't have done, but... :P They are Philip Yancey's Rumours of Another World, Edmund Chan's Growing Deep in God, Gene Edward Veith Jr.'s Postmodern Times and Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Ethics. It has't been easy for me to read because my brain's kinda all mush these days so I actually have to read the words out loud which means I'm reading oh so slowly which means that I'm behind schedule to finish them by Good Friday but I'm not fretting, I'll finish them.



Btw I had wanted to trying going meat-less by my resolve has been weak. :( What I've been doing though was to bring my own lunch to work consisting of one vegetable and one egg dish. I won't count this as a Lent effort, just something I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment