Saturday, October 11, 2014

I don't know why it didn't cross my mind to watch Death Note earlier on, but boy am I glad I did. I LOVE it! I read the manga back then and liked it, but I never went very far into the plot as copies were hard to come by. I love the characters, the drawings, the pace, the drama and the story line. Ok, not totally and I need to clarify that. But I can't do it without spoilers, so please click on the link after this image below to continue reading. Don't do it if you plan to watch the show. I'd totally recommend this to anyone who hasn't though. For me, it was definitely a worthy show to catch after the brilliant Steins;Gate, since I had worried about finding something I'd like that would match up.

Oh speaking of a worthy successor, I did start Cowboy Bebop since it was so highly recommended, but sorry fanboys and -girls, it didn't do anything for me and I stopped after Ep 4. I am not a fan of dated drawing (the anime came out in 1998, so the quality of the drawing -- to simplistic -- reflects its age) so it was hard for me to go through with it. Also I'm not fan of spaceships or bounty hunters.. I might be rewarded if I stayed on, apparently the show touches on deeper human issues like existentialism and other philosophical stuff.. but mm, mayybe another time ok? I guess why it appeared on the top of so many lists was because those people watched it when it first came out, and so it was a huge part of their childhood.. and nostalgia is a strong factor in such lists. To each her own... at least I checked it out. :)



What I loved:
  • L! I think mostly because he fits the archetype of a character who I like. Brilliant, amazing at deduction, selamba, mysterious, meticulous, analytical, weirdo with dry sense of humour. I love that he's a crazy sweet tooth. When he died (something I knew was happening because I accidentally read the wiki page -_-), I felt an instant emptiness.. so much so that I had to trawl the internet for support. I know, I know, I easily get emotionally invested with characters.. but it can't be helped la. Wah, I think I must have stopped breathing for a second when his heart attack hit him. Oh L, I miss you. :( I wish you didn't have to die.  
  • Light Yagami. Okay, I don't love his character per se, but I thought his descent from all-round scholar and athlete into a deranged murderer was pretty well done. I don't like scheming, manipulative characters, no matter how brilliant they are, so I guess this attests to how well his role was written.
  • Episode 25 Silence, where L died. I thought that it was the best episode I've ever seen. The writing, the mood, the sounds, the silence, the drawing. I've watched it 3 times, and I would watch it again. That rooftop scene of L and Light and the subsequent one where L dried Light's feet (I didn't think it was homoerotic until I read comments about it. C'mon guys -_-), they are unforgettable. 
  • Near/N. I wish they had more time to develop his character. I love his obsession with stacking and arranging things - dice, match sticks, sugar cubes, cups.. he does remind me of a younger version of L. Apparently a lot of netizens hate on him, I don't know why though. Maybe they think he's not worthy or that he has attitude problem, but those thoughts didn't cross my mind. 
  • Ryuk and his apple loving ways, and Rem with her inexplicable devotion for Misa. These Shinigamis may appear scary, but for most part they are just bored and listless gods of death. The darkness of the human heart as shown by Light is far more terrifying.


What I didn't;
  • Part 2 (i.e. the episodes post-L). It doesn't hold a candle to Part 1. Braced self for it but still kinda disappointed.. but well, Light had whatever happened to him coming. Would have been more gratifying if L were the one besting Light. Actually given the advantages/knowledge that Light had, and having to consider the existence of the little known spirit realm in his deduction, I think that L > Light. 
  • Misa Amane. Wow, she is annoying. And her blind devotion for Kira and Light, srsly. I don't condone it, but I actually laughed when Light said "This is the first time in my life that I've been provoked to hit a woman". 
  • Mello/M. I don't see the point of his character. Where is his brilliance? How is he even a contender to be L's successor? It's not evident at all. 
  • The opening and ending songs. Esp the metal song omg. 
tl;dr Part 1>2, L>Light & I miss L.

No comments:

Post a Comment