Saturday, August 11, 2012

one melody, two songs

Good morning! It's the wee hours of a Saturday morning and I am still awake, barely so, but enough to be typing this. I am up because it's the weekend, and every effort must be made to streeeetch it.

I have just finished watching:
(1) an old French movie, the 1955 Les Diaboliques, which is not that scary by today's standard.. but maybe it was because I read the synopsis and found out how the movie ended. That was a stupid move on my part. I wouldn't call it groundbreaking, but apparently it made quite a splash when it was first released.

I've been on a movie watching spree lately, inspired by a colleague of mine who is a movie buff and his aim is to watch the entire list of movies from *IMDB Top 250 Movies* (he claims that he has covered half of the movies in the list)..

If you know me, you'd know that I don't watch many movies.. even those really famous ones like Fight Club or The Godfathers. I wonder how his passion have somehow rubbed off me. The strange thing about this colleague, when face to face, is hardly articulate (come to think of it, even on Skype he isn't exactly smooth), but when he talks about movies, he gets really chatty about it. I guess that did it for me.

Now I try to make it a point every weekend to watch one of the movies he had recommended (basically from the list), and so far I have watched Memento [2000], The Shawshank Redemption [1994], Rashomon [1950], Casablanca [1942], Princess Mononoke [1997](halfway) -- okay, I don't know why I'm watching all these super old movies haha.. didn't realise it. While those movies were ground breaking back in those days, I can't really appreciate them now. But I'm still curious enough to want to watch.

I doubt that I would want to finish the list, cos I'm never really into dramas (which the list has quite a few), but I realised that I do enjoy most psychological thrillers (Inception, Shutter Island), so last weekend, I searched for a list of must-watch Psych Thrillers and downloaded the ones which I think I might like. Can't wait to see those shows... the next movie in line is The Usual Suspects.

But first, I'll need me a few Community episodes first. Have I ever mentioned here how much I love Community? It's a whole lot, bordering the line of fanatigirlism. Actually I think I have already overstep that line. But let me talk about it some other time. But just so you know, I am crazy, like KUH-RAYYY-ZAYYY about the show. ;)

(2) an interview with Lee Hom from 2010, and I am a happy camper because I found the interview footage, which is rare these days as
  • he hasn't have any new projects lately (he's been spending 2012 on his Music Man 2 tour and is currently in Harbin (that's northern China, bordering Russia and I think North Korea.. the hubby was there just a few months ago :) for a concert this weekend.) and 
  • I have watched most of the rest of them haha!
Today I have two songs by Lee Hom here, which shares the same melody and theme (separation/broken hearts) but are different language and lyrics-wise. It's said that the Mary referenced in the English song is the name of his ex-gf who broke up with him when he chose music over her. He's said before that they had been together before he became famous, but once his career took off, he couldn't have the time to spend with her and it took a toll on the relationship. He said that she's now happily married, and seemed to express regrets over not being able to commit. Anyway, it's quite straight-forward what he was trying to express via the English song.. it's very simple and the way he sang it here is very heartfelt, and what gets to me most is that first line of the chorus (And Mary says she's gonna be OK) -- I couldn't really shake it off.. Maybe it's the way he sang it, or the way I imagined it, it's makes me kinda :( every time I hear it.

I am rather indifferent to the Chinese version thou' but this was one of his more well-known songs back then (it's from 1999). A karaoke staple, I guess.

Anyways, it's layyte (3:49AM)! Imma call it a night. Thank God I've got nothing on tomorrow -- the only agenda is to clean my house. Say what? Yeah, you heard me ;) Night night.

Mary Says

How long has it been since I held you near?
How long will it be till I have you right here?
You say that it hurts I can't disagree
But how can I hold on to someone who's leaving me?

And Mary says she's gonna be OK
She tells me things are getting busier these days
[She tells me things will be much easier someday]
And Mary says she's gonna be alright
You know how much I miss her in my life
[You know how much I'm missing her deep inside]
Goodbye yesterday, I see my dreams walking away
And Mary looks just like she did before
Except she don't love me, she don't love me anymore

I could shake your hand or I could kiss you goodbye
But I just might break down looking in your brown eyes
So what happens next do I listen to my mind or heart?
I don't know where to start feeling alright again
淚流手心 Crying Palm

雲飄在天空 浪在海流動
這世界太多 無法掌握的夢
你站在風中 你是自由的
生命有太多 不得不分的痛
Clouds are floating in the sky, waves are in motion in the sea
In this world, there are too many dreams that are beyond our grasp
You are standing in the wind, you are a free soul
In this life, there are too much pains that cannot be shared

當你將離別握在我手心
我聽見愛被悄悄捏碎的聲音
你不懂你不要的我的心
會隨你鬆開的手而喊停
When you are leaving, don't hold on to my hand
I am listening to the sound of love being quietly shattered
You do not understand that you don't want my heart
But it will just follow your loosening grip and cry for it to stop

我試著微笑 試著擁抱 在每一秒
我不想看見閉上的眼睛
害怕你最後 化成淚流出手心
I try to smile and try to embrace every second
I don't want to see closed eyes
Afraid that you would eventually become a crying palm (Ed: I don't quite get this part)

你給過的承諾 我怎能不放手
當你誠實訴說 他的愛多遼闊
這是我的手 它牽過你往事中度過
這段漫長的路 不該走到寂寞
The promises that you have once gave, I cannot let go of them
When you spoke frankly about how great his love is
This is my hand which has held your past
This long road ahead should not be one of loneliness

遼闊 liáokuò - vast / extensive

No comments:

Post a Comment