Thursday, February 14, 2013

she's the catcher in the rye

i rarely enjoy female singers (prolonged exposure to female voices somehow grates my nerves hahaha!), so when i randomly chanced upon her while youtubing Mayday's songs (they belong to the same record company, B'in Music) and found myself drawn to her songs, i was like ^__^. i like her slightly off, Dido-esque pronunciation (which also means that i can't understand her without lyrics). i can't find much info about her in English as she's a fairly new artist in the Taiwanese music scene. she's 21 according to her wiki page (imo, she looks slightly more mature than that). that's all. and oh i love her hair! :)

btw the title of this post alludes to her other song by the same name as JD Salinger's book, which I've not read but would like to. I guess she likes it a lot because she calls herself that (麥田捕手) on her weibo page too.

anyway in my current state of keeping you-know-who away from my ears (Day 1: doing okay. phew! i even had to make sure his songs are not in my current playlist before i play), may i present to you: Ann 白安 and 是什麼讓我遇見這樣的你 How Is It That I Met Someone Like You What Brings Me To You.

and oh, HAPPY VALENTINE'S!! ^_^


我是宇宙間的塵埃 漂泊在這茫茫人海
偶然掉入誰的胸懷 多想從此不再離開
我是宇宙間的塵埃 微不足道的一種狀態
偶然成了誰的最愛 多想相信永恆存在
I'm a speck of dust in the universe, floating amidst a sea of people
every once in a while, I'd fall into someone's embrace, where I'd no longer want to leave
I'm a speck of dust in the universe: negligible, insignificant
by chance I'd become someone's beloved, and I want to believe in the existence of the eternal

是什麼 讓我遇見這樣的你
是什麼 讓我不再懷疑自己
是什麼 讓我不再害怕失去
在這茫茫人海裡 我不要變得透明
how was it that I met someone like you?
what was it that I no longer doubt myself?
what was it that I no longer fear loss?
in this vast sea of people, I do not want to become invisible

我是宇宙間的塵埃 漂泊在這茫茫人海
若你是我必然的存在 多想從此不再離開
若時間注定要讓你離開 我又該怎麼學會不依賴
I'm but a speck of dust in the universe, floating amidst a sea of people
if you were to be my inevitable existence, then I'd never leave
if time decides to let you go, I should learn not to be dependent of you


塵埃/尘埃 chén'āi - dust
微不足道 wēibùzúdào - insignificant, negligible
状态 zhuàngtài - state of affairs / state / mode / situation




是什麼讓我遇見這樣的你

作詞/曲:白安
編曲:Mac Chew

我是宇宙間的塵埃
漂泊在這茫茫人海
偶然掉入誰的胸懷
多想從此不再離開

我是宇宙間的塵埃
微不足道的一種狀態
偶然成了誰的最愛
多想相信永恆存在

是什麼 讓我遇見這樣的你
是什麼 讓我不再懷疑自己
是什麼 讓我不再害怕失去
在這茫茫人海裡 我不要變得透明

我是宇宙間的塵埃
漂泊在這茫茫人海
若你是我必然的存在
多想從此不再離開

是什麼 讓我遇見這樣的你
是什麼 讓我不再懷疑自己
是什麼 讓我不再害怕失去
在這茫茫人海裡 我不要變得透明

若時間注定要讓你離開
我又該怎麼學會不依賴

是什麼 讓我遇見這樣的你
是什麼 讓我不再懷疑自己
是什麼 讓我不再害怕失去
在這茫茫人海裡 我不要變得透明

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so very much for this bio and translation. Her voice / vocal style is gorgeous, the music beautiful, and now I know that the lyrics are as thoughtful as I believed they would be.

    I completely agree with your "Dido-esque-ness" description, and also hear echo's of Sinead O'Connor, Sarah McLachlan, etc.

    I have a small music/playlist page on Facebook (MusicEclectic), where I've re-posted the MV with your translation, along with a link back to this page (hope that's OK...)
    www.facebook.com/MusicEclectic

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my late reply :) Saw the lyrics on your FB site. I'm okay with it and am happy you found the translation useful. :)

      Delete