Friday, March 15, 2013

the bright side #1

i spend (waste? hehehe so debatable) a lot of time on the internet.. and if you don't know it already, the web can be a terrible place with all the bad news and sad news and worst of all, belligerent trolls. that aside, i still love the good that comes with being online, and it's especially worth it when i get a glimpse of what my fellow earthly sojourners can achieve at the height their creativity, or how big one's heart could be. i'm trying to start a weekly archive of the awesome stuff that float my way (i would have shared some but not all of these on FB), and hope that they bless you too! :D

  • The Master Chef

Based on a true story, this film is about pursuing your dreams no matter the odds.

In 2003, Christine Ha was diagnosed with a disease that caused her blindness. She didn't think that she could move on, and felt devastated and alone. But through her love for cooking and the people around her, she started to see her purpose in life. By picking herself up, Christine became the first blind contestant on the hit reality TV show, MasterChef.



[via The Jubilee Project]

  • A tale of a student and a legend

During a question-and-answer session with Billy Joel at Vanderbilt University, one bold but endearingly nervous student went all in and asked if he could play “New York State of Mind” on the piano for Billy Joel to sing along to. Joel paused for a second and then said, “Okay.”

It’s awesome…



[via 22 Words]

  • Yeo Inhyeok does an amazing a capella cover of Stevie Wonder's I Wish

Amazing what we can do with just our mouth and voice (and the computer! :)



[via 22 Words]

which led me to finding this:

Mike Tompkins and his a capella cover of Coldplay's Paradise 

  • This girl

COFFEE SHOP | NEW YORK, NY, USA
(A young girl that is about 14 years old walks in. She gets some looks from our other patrons, as she has bright purple hair, multiple piercings, a leather jacket, and ripped jeans. It is freezing outside and she has a scowl on her face that makes me nervous.)

Me: “Hello, welcome to [coffee shop]. How may I help you?”

Young Girl: “I’ll take five of the largest black coffees you have, and ten of your ham and cheese sandwiches.”

Me: “Okay, will that be all?”

Young Girl: “Yeah.”

Me: “Your total is [price].”

(To my surprise, she pulls out a $100 bill. I am suspicious, and I check to make sure it’s real. It checks out, and I give her a bag with her sandwiches.)

Me: “Here is your change. Your coffee will be ready in a moment.”

(I keep an eye on her as she stands around glaring at anyone who looks at her. I see her looking at the tip jar. When I hand her the coffees, she asks me about it.)

Young Girl: “Your tip jar says that the money goes to you guys. Are any of you in college?”

Me: “Yes, I’m going to Rochester Institute of Technology. A few others are in college as well.”

Young Girl: “Good for you.”

(She pulls out the change I gave her and a few more $20 dollar bills. She crams then in the jar and salutes me jokingly before walking out. I am stunned, and chase after her. I find her on the street corner talking to some homeless people and handing out the sandwiches and coffee.)

Me: “Excuse me!”

Young Girl: “I’m sorry, did I forget something?”

Me: “No, but you just tipped us over $100 dollars. You’re also giving away a lot of food.”

Young Girl: “Yeah, my dad is crazy rich. I feel like I can do more if I actually interact with people instead of signing a check to a charity. Every Friday I gather anyone I see who needs a good meal, and buy it for them.” *she smiles brightly* “I may be young, but I can make a difference. I usually hand out flyers for homeless shelters or soup kitchens, too.”

(Without another word, she walks off silently. I didn’t stop smiling for the rest of the week. It goes to show you that appearances aren’t everything!)

[via Not Always Right]

  • This thread on Quora

What is the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?

There are 44 answers in this thread, and every one is as heartwarming as the next. :)

TGIF peeps! ^__^

1 comment: