Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The other night I was in my room when I suddenly thought I smelled something like smoke. I got up and went around checking in case something was burning. I checked the plugs and the curtains and around, but there was nothing. I thought it came from the neighbor but  my room is kinda sealed. Anyway, it happened a couple more times intermittently, so I thought my nose was just being sensitive.

And yesterday, when I got into the office, I smelled it again.. I thought it was my CEO as he has the tendency to light up a cigar when he's in the office and the smell would permeate from his wing to ours. But my colleague said she didn't smell anything, and I believe her because her usually sensitive nose would pick up on any unusual smell. Weird, right?

So I thought I'd just googled "smelling burning smell" which is like such a feeble search term so I did not expect anything much but lo and behold, it's actually a thing on the top result! So yeah, this condition is called phantosmia, a form of olfactory hallucination.

So yeah. MY NOSE IS HALLUCINATING. WUT. From wiki:
While most olfactory hallucinations are caused by a misinterpretation of a physical stimulus, phantosmia is the perception of a smell in the complete absence of any physical odors. The odor can range from pleasant to disgusting. Although the causes of phantosmia are uncertain, it often occurs with neurological and psychological disorders such as schizophrenia, mood disorders, Parkinsons disease, epilepsy, neuroblastoma, and frequent migraines.
Nobody panics now, but.... whaaat? Ergh, since it's not fatal or anything I'm not very worried. And I don't want to freak myself out so I'm not going to read anything more about it (ignorance is bliss :P) But this is just... I don't know... WEIRD??

No comments:

Post a Comment