Monday, September 1, 2014

It seems like all I write about these days are so-called reviews of books and TV and movies huh? :) I don't know why I do it because I am a terrible reviewer -- my opinions are usually either "I love it!" or "I hated it!" but to justify them, I need to read other reviews to find the words to properly express my thoughts. So what you read that you thought were my thoughts (when I wasn't literally copy-pasting chunks of those text because I was too lazy to even reword them), were actually my little Frankenstein's monsters -- butchered and sewn together opinions of other people in a form of a somewhat readable prose. Ta-dah. I suppose I do it for the same reason why I wrote the other posts: for my older self to remember what my younger self enjoyed (or not). Okay, this time for a change I'll give you something that's entirely my own take.

So I finally read Yale law professor Amy Chua's (in)famous book that created this massive parenting debate worldwide when it came out three years ago: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. I remember thinking then, wow all these controversies and uproar.. the book must be selling like hot cakes! Ka-ching! I've read excerpts from the book then and knew of the terror that Chua was, but I also remember being very impressed by her daughters' achievements.

So what did I think of this? The book -- totally enjoyed reading it! I haven't finished a book this fast in a long time. It was easy to read, and I was rather entertained and horrified at the same time. Her daughters -- much respect for what they have done and how well adjusted they appear to be. The mother -- needless to say, is scary beyond all reason (sorry, random cheeky quote from The Emperor's New Groove). She is the epitome of a melancholy choleric, and her ways would totally not stand out among Asian parents, especially immigrants or 2nd-gens. And if I were her daughter, I'm surer than sure that I'd be the black sheep who is only talked about in hushed tones at family dinners and who's forever cowering in my sisters' shadows.

But you know what, maybe it's the Asian in me, coupled with hindsight... I totally get where Chua was coming from and actually wish that I had a Tiger mom.

*cue collective gasps from phantom pro-"Western" style of parenting readers*

Haha! I do! Now, I'm not blaming my very Chinese parents who for some reason never really pushed me for letting me do whatever I'd wanted (that said, I was never a wild, rebellious child - I'd say that I was a goody two shoes *cough cough*).. but knowing me, I am the kind of person who needs discipline and would do well when pushed, even though I'd hate every minute of it with every fiber of my being. Yes, I can't win this! Alas, it's too late for me now, but I really still need to find some other way to kick my own ass, and I need to find it fast.

Btw I don't think there's a one best way of parenting. As illustrated by Chua, what worked with her eldest backfired when applied on the younger daughter. Still, I think it worked out for them in the end, soooo.. good for them! :)

__________
Edit 1/9/14: 
Chua's eldest daughter wrote an open letter in defense of her mother after the controversy broke out, which I thought was a thoughtful piece. Something she said there struck me: "Everybody seems to think art is spontaneous. But Tiger Mom, you taught me that even creativity takes effort." While that's nothing new, that line, seen together with the relentless drills the girls were subjected to their entire lives, serves as a stark reminder as to why I am so errm.. unaccomplished: I haven't poured in much hours into anything I like. 

How does passion work? How is it ignited? How much could or should it be forced before one lets go and lets nature takes it course? I want that - to be over the top crazy about something.. Haha, perhaps something like my LH crazy fangirl phase, but with something more useful. I liked that I did all those translation works on his songs and that speech. I enjoyed working on them tremendously, and I really want something like that again, something more.. lasting this time. What could it be!? Please God don't let me turn 40 without finding whatever it is that I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment