Tuesday, September 16, 2014

there's new band in my world...

In April 2012, I got into Mandopop via Leehom; one and half year later in September 2013, it was hip-hop and Mr Slim Shady himself. Now, twelve months later, ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you my obsession du jour, Japanese indie pop-rock band, Galileo Galilei. Ta-dah!


I first heard them from the Anohana opening song, Blue Bookmark/Aoi Shiori, and when I checked that song out in Youtube, it turned out they also did another song for the anime, called Circle Game. For me, when I chance upon two songs that I take to immediately from a new band or musician, I would check out their other songs (I don't usually do it if I like just one song, so the second song has to somehow come by serendipitously hehe).. and then I clicked on the link to Swan and guess what, I liked it! So with three hits in a row, that was it lah, I have my new favorite band! I was thisclose to buying their album, but alas, it's only available on iTunes Japan. So err, I went the yarrr! polly wants a cracker way. And to uploaders and torrentors of obscure bands' discography -- YOU DA REAL MVP *two thumps on chest + peace sign* ILAPYOUDANKEW.. 

Me reading up on LH and Em
So, the band. Man, these boys are young! The lead singer/songwriter Yuki Ozaki is only 23 this year. There are only three ppl in the band now, including Yuki's brother Kazuki who plays the drums/percussion and bassist Hitoshi Sako -- you could read a bit about how they came to be here from this fan page here. Sadly I don't think they are that popular (judging from their album sale figures), plus this being a Japanese band, so I don't have much scoop on them. But 'sokay.. I'm used to liking lesser known bands and am well acquainted with having a dearth of info/goss on them. Well, it keeps me somewhat sane haha -- I remember when I first got into LH or Em and was presented with opulent buffets of available reading materials on them that made me all wide eyed and ravenous, the way I went digging and consuming details about them was almost a cause for concern! :P

And you know what. Lyrics schmyrics! So much for my insistence that I like songs with meaningful lyrical contents. I don't know what these guys are singing about, but I love the songs! :) I'll get to the words later, but for now, check these out and tell me you love them too:







No comments:

Post a Comment