Friday, December 12, 2014

ADD, subtract, multiply and divide

I may be a quack, but I'm pretty sure I have ADD. I've known this for a while, I mean, how could I not have it? Like this list of symptoms, I could definitely use it as a framework for my biography/memoir.
Lack of Focus. Possibly the most telltale sign of ADD, “lack of focus” goes beyond difficulty paying attention. It means being easily distracted, finding it difficult to listen to others in a conversation, overlooking details, and not finishing work or projects.

Me: Check. Check. Check. Check. Check. :\

Hyper-focus. While people with ADD are often easily distractible, the flip side of the coin is called hyper-focus. While engaged in an activity they like, a person with ADD/ADHD can be so engrossed in something that they are ignorant to anything else around them. This kind of focus makes it easier to lose track of time, ignore those around you, and cause relationship problems.

Me: This is also true. And yes, it's caused me trouble. :\

Disorganization. Life can seem chaotic for everyone at times, but someone with ADD experiences a more hectic life on a regular basis. You may have problems with time management, keeping track of tasks, procrastination, chronic lateness, and prioritizing.

Me: Did someone say procrastination? I am your Queen. But I don't have problem with chronic lateness -- I'm pretty punctual when I'm expected to be someplace. That said, I'm among the last person to step into the office every day. But that's just cos I'm not a morning person, but mostly, it's because I could get away with it. 

Forgetfulness. For someone with ADD, forgetfulness is a part of life. This includes routinely forgetting where you’ve put something or important dates. Some can be menial, while others can be serious. The bottom line is that forgetfulness can be damaging to careers and relationships because it can be confused with carelessness.

Me: This word practically defines my existence! XD

Impulsivity. Impulsivity in someone with ADD can manifest as interrupting others during conversation, being socially inappropriate, rushing through tasks, or acting without much consideration to the consequences. A person’s shopping habits are often a good indication of ADD. Impulse buying, especially on items they can’t afford, is a common symptom of adult ADD.

Me: Mm, while I am impatient and have the tendency to be impulsive, I rarely succumb to impulse buying. 

Emotional Problems. Life with ADD can seem chaotic, as though your emotions are on a constantly up-and-down journey. You can easily become bored and go looking for excitement on a whim. Small frustrations can seem intolerable or bring on depression and mood swings.

Me: Not as severe as described, but I'm practically strapped on and stuck on a perpetual emotional roller coaster ride. Somebody get me off this!

Poor Self-image. Adults with ADD are often hypercritical of themselves, which can lead to a poor self-image. This is due in part of their inability to concentrate and other symptoms that may cause problems in school, work, or relationships. You may view these difficulties as personal failures or underachievement, which can cause you to see yourself in a negative light.

Me: Yeah, this. :( I'm not even a perfectionist sigh.  

Lack of Motivation. While you might be open to doing everything at once, you also may feel unmotivated. This is problem commonly seen in children with ADD who can’t often focus on schoolwork, but it also can happen with adults. Coupled with procrastination and poor organizational skills, it may be difficult for an adult with ADD to finish a project because they can’t focus for long periods of time.

Me: *cries* MEMANG BENAR!

Restlessness & Anxiety. As an adult with ADD, you may feel like your motor can’t shut off. Your yearning to keep moving and doing things can lead to frustration when you can’t do something immediately. This yields to restlessness, which can lead to frustrations and anxiety. Anxiety is a common symptom of adult ADD, as the mind tends to replay worrisome events repeatedly.

Me: Not all the time, but when I'm restless, I'm restless. 

Relationship Issues. An adult with ADD often has trouble in relationships, whether they are professional, romantic, or platonic. The traits of talking over people in conversation, inattentiveness, and easily being bored can be draining on relationships as a person can come across as insensitive, irresponsible, or uncaring.

Me: I just want to say that I've been blessed with a wonderful hubby and awesome friends who are able to take my nonsense. But still, I am aware of how weird I am, and I'm wary to opening myself up.

I've seen people harness their weaknesses for good. I want to do the same too. Wish me the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment