Saturday, July 28, 2012

Let the Games begin...!


Hello, London 2012!

I didn't stay up to watch the Olympics opening ceremony early this morning, but I managed to catch the replay on TV just now. Every ceremony is spectacular in its on way (Beijing 2008 might have been more OTT than the rest but that's them). I enjoyed identifying well-known British faces who participated (Mr Bean, David Beckam, Mary Poppins, even a cameo from the Queen herself!)

And for some reason, my eyes welled up when Sir Paul McCartney was belting out Hey Jude... I sang along from my living room with him 6 hours after he did it live. The man is an icon!! And song is legend...wait-for-it...dary! Legendary!! The Beatles was one of the familiar sounds when I was growing up. My dad who speaks no word of English could probably hum most their songs. I guess it's the sentimentality of it all that moved me.

Back to the Games, here's wishing that they Olympiads would hold on to their oath that they "shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams."

No comments:

Post a Comment