Friday, June 14, 2013

brendan.

Remember how I thought I was like an idiot in front of this man? (Not that man, the one all the way down at the end - you can't miss the photo I took with him =) I still cringe a little inside when I think of all the other things I could have said to him, but didn't. Ah well. But one thing I did good was to tell him about D who lives in LA and how she's a huge fan of his too and how she was determined that she would make it for one of his gigs.

And... so she did. Yay!

I'm sewing together pieces of our conversation to let her tell her story. I would have pasted the conversation here, but you don't need to read my gushy gibberish.
Minnie Driver was supposed to perform at 10:30. We got there at 8:40 and the 8pm Black Lillies were finishing up. We stood to the side since there were only 4 tables and they were all taken. And suddenly Brendan walked by us. I turned to my friend and say "omg, that was Brendan." But he had already walked by.

So the 9:30 performer Shane Alexander came on and I tried to stand closer since more people were milling in. The spot I had was great to watch the singer but you couldn't see the drummer. Luckily when Shane was done (he was excellent by the way), I was able to maneuver to a good spot right behind the tables and I motioned for my friend to come too. The people at this club were awesome. A good variety. Some older. Some in the 20's. some dressed in t shirt and shorts and others like they were going to a club. Everyone was nice. No pushing. No shoving. Ok, I digress.

Anyways, now Brendan comes through the crowd lugging his cymbals and drum set and starts setting up. This was a small venue so the bands set up their own equipment and do sound checks and they take 30 minutes. He was up there by himself for like 15 minutes before the rest of the band came on. I took pictures but they are all of BB with his head turned down.

I literally watched him set up and warmed up for 30 minutes. It was awesome! Then Minnie comes on and she was hilarious and great. BB was amazing and I had the perfect spot to watch him the entire performance. It was really amazing watching him perform so close up. He is so amazing. I sent you a portion I recorded, when Minnie was introducing her band.

Ok, then Minnie's show was over and there was one last 11:30 performer, Naomi Greenwald. Minnie left and Brendan started to disassemble his set. I thought "it's now or never" so when he came off stage with his arms full of stuff I basically run up to him and say "Brendan! Hi! My name is Dora and you met my friend in Malaysia..."

And he was smiling and said "Dora, yes I remember!"

(Note: This was where practically I imploded in the conversation and went OMGGGGGGGG ARGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!)

He either did remember or he is the sweetest man EVER.

I told him how happy I was to finally got to see his show and that I thought he's great, and he said thank you. I asked if I could have a picture with him but I see he had all his stuff. He says "of course, let me get my stuff off the stage first and I'll come look for you." And he puts his hand on my back. Swooning.

He is stopped by his friends and some guy as he made his way back. So I motioned my friend to come. So Brendan came out and went back on stage to get the remaining of his things. He sees me and grabs my hand and says "I'll be back." Swoon some more.

He's stopped by a couple more people on his way to the performer's room. Poor guy was still with bags in his arms but he was so gracious. So my friend and I stand there as nearly 1/2 the crowd have left after Minnie's performance and Naomi's band were setting up. As I decide that we should use auto and wondering if BB would come back he jumped behind me and said "Okay, picture time."

I asked him how long he'll be in the U.S. and he said "few more weeks and then I'm going to Taiwan for J.J Lin concert."

I introduced him to my friend who takes the picture. After the picture he looked like he was looking for one one so I asked him if he was heading out or staying. He says 'I'm trying to find my friend. She's here somewhere but it's so hard to find people when you come off stage. I'm going to stick around because these are all my friends playing."

So I told him AGAIN how awesome he was and how great Minnie Driver was and he thanked me for coming out to see them. My friend and I decided to stay and listen to Naomi because her songs on the website sounded cool (and she is cool and very rocker). I am also happy we stayed because the place was getting rots empty and I would have felt bad for Naomi. As I waved good bye to Brendan and he says "I'll see you because I'm sticking around."

After Naomi's awesome performance it was 12:40 and as we were leaving the venue Brendan is leaning against the wall outside talking to a girl (this must be the friend). He called out to us "Bye! It was nice meeting you!" My friend and I said "Bye! Nice meeting you." I was so happy I did not trip down the steps to the parking garage.

So, Brendan Buckley, if you are self-googling ('sokay, we all do that :D), I hope you find this, because we really appreciate what an awesome person you are -- thanks for being such a trooper! :D And some day when I visit D in LA, we would love to catch one of your gigs and then sit down for a cup of coffee with you! :D Ah, the dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh....Thank you for letting me relive that amazing meeting. Brendan is truly a class act and I hope he's in town when you come to L.A ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me meet him again vicariously! :D Was really excited for you when you first told me, and when I was writing this, I felt the same excitement again. :D I wish he'd be around tooooo!

      Delete