Saturday, June 15, 2013

yippeedooday, DT's in the house!


I was so stoked to find out from David's weibo that he has just dropped his latest album Hello Goodbye three days back! WHEE!! He's been AWOL since his last album Opus 69 in 2008 (which I have not heard until last year, as I have been AWOL from Chinese music since.. 2001? :D)(I'd have to say that Opus was his best album yet and a tough act to follow--and of course, I totally enjoyed it!)..

So I've just downloaded Hello Goodbye 再見你好嗎 from iTunes as I was typing (for some reason, it costs USD9.99 from my iPhone's iTunes, but when I checked online from my laptop, the album costs USD16.99!) Anyway, I've already heard a few songs from his mini concert which was held in conjunction with the album launch, and most of what I heard sounded like old skool David, which isn't a bad thing at all :) There are a few collaborations with other singers, namely Crowd Lu, Tanya Chua and Sharon Kwan (unfortunately, I have very little idea of who they are, and a total blank as to their works)(sorry!)

And the best thing is, he's embarking on a (world?)(somehow that term is used pretty loosely when it comes to concerts) tour -- and I'm hoping very much that he would make it to Malaysia!! It's pretty likely that he would. Problem is, who would go with me to the concert?? :(

Anyway, it's so good to have you back, David. I've really missed you! :) Please stay a while longer this time k?

So sporting a new hairstyle and colour (love the blue!), this is David with the first single from his album, the song 勿忘我 Forget Me Not which grew on me pretty quickly. I think it's the trend these days to throw in a line or two of nostalgic catchy tune/hook in the chorus (like the song Live Your Live by T.I feat. Rihanna which takes from Chicken Little's Numa Numa song or Feel This Moment by Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera which took a leaf from Eiffel 65's Blue (Da Ba Dee))(Leehom has done it with too with 春雨里洗过的太阳 which has a modified line from The Cascades' 1963 song, Rhythm of the Falling Rain). And I think this strategy works, because the familiarity provides instant connection, and you also get something entirely new thrown in. I hope this would be used sparingly though (David also employed this technique in his Taiwanese song 上爱唱的歌 Songs From Yesterday, a poignant song dedicated to his late dad :( I could so feel his pain when he almost broke down before presenting this song at his mini concert! :(

Anyway... so far, I've liked what I've heard so I'm glad I bought the whole album :) His would be the second full-length album I purchased from iTunes -- the first being Khalil Fong's excellent Back to Wonderland, and when Leehom is ready with his new album (he's recording! :), I'm guessing that would be a full album purchase too (although I'm contemplating a physical album.. would love to have something tangible (like his two other albums which I've bought and are now sitting quietly on the shelf haha!)



勿忘我

作词:周启儿
作/编曲:陶喆

谢谢你曾陪我走过的路 今天只剩你一个人走
再好的故事终究(zhongjiu)要结束 我知道 yeah~
在我心中的你永远停在那天 倔强(juejiang)地微笑着的侧脸
忍住眼泪的你说不出的再见 却听见你轻轻地唱着
thank you for accompanying on my journey
today you are left to continue alone
no matter how good a story get it would eventually come to an end
in my heart you are paused at that very day
i could see a stubborn smile from your side profile
holding your tears, you couldn't say goodbye
but i heard you softly singing...
yo de lay lay yo 请不要忘了我
yo de lay lay yo 你不要忘了我 答应我
yo de lay lay yo please forget me not
yo de lay lay yo don't you forget me, promise me you won't
谢谢你从不计较的付出 那是多么单纯的幸福
遗憾的是幸福不能弥补(mibu) 最初的错误 yeah~
在你心中的我你要怎么记住 那些不再纪念的日子
你还是挥挥手(huihuishou)装作毫(zhuangzuohao)不在乎 却低着头轻轻地唱着
thank you for your willing sacrifice, what a pure blessing that was
my only regret is that the blessing cannot offset the mistake I've initially made
how do you want to remember me in your heart
those days that have been forgotten
you're waving and pretending not to care, but you lower your head and softly sing...

记得那时候 牵着你的手 什么都没说 多笨拙(benzhuo) yeah~
如果还能够 只想对你说 永远记得我 记得我 I say yeah~
remember that time, holding your hand, no words were said, how awkward
if i still could, i only want to say to you, remember me always, remember me,
and I say...

No comments:

Post a Comment