Saturday, January 4, 2014

sing me to sleep

Leehom held his annual New Year free show so, so close to home this year... in Singapore! While I knew it was happening, I had like almost zero expectation that I would get hold of a ticket (there were only 210 available this year), so I wasn't really bummed out. That said, I would have jumped on the first bus heading south had I managed to snap one.

His set would usually consist of his own songs and some covers of others. Last year he did Jamie Cullum's All At Sea, one of my all-time favorite songs, but alas, no video (audio only) of the performance popped up on YouTube so I could only imagine how it went. This time around, he performed a cover of Billy Joel's Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel), to my absolute delight! David Tao's Lullaby has got to be one of my most played songs, and I think there's always this tenderness to lullabies that makes you feel all warm and contented, plus anything that brings to mind the sweet joy of slumber is tops in my book. :) I haven't really checked out the other songs from the show because I've been looping this one :)



Goodnight, my angel, time to close your eyes and save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been asking me, I think you know what I've been trying to say
I promised I would never leave you and you should always know
Wherever you may go, no matter where you are, I never will be far away

Goodnight, my angel, now it's time to sleep and still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me, when we went sailing on an emerald bay
And like a boat out on the ocean, I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark and deep inside this ancient heart, you'll always be a part of me

Goodnight, my angel, now it's time to dream and dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child may cry, and if you sing this lullabye
Then in your heart there will always be a part of me

Someday we'll all be gone but lullabyes go on and on...
They never die, that's how you and I will be

Wang Leehom (Billy Joel cover) :: Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)

No comments:

Post a Comment