Monday, May 28, 2012

WLH 403: Advanced Leehomology

I make a terrible student. I have the attention span of a child high on sugar, I regard assignments with utter disdain, and with my fish-like memory and bimbo-esque grasp of ideas, I tend to do terribly in tests. I still marvel at the fact that I hold a legit degree. That said, put me in the above class, and I have zero doubt that I would pass with glorious flying colours. I can see you shaking your head but agreeing wholeheartedly. Hehehe..

I didn't realise that I have amassed so much information about Lee Hom until I chatted with WW over a yummy breakfast of fish head noodle yesterday. Since she's a fellow fan (strange that I don't have more friends who are wlh fans -_-); being able to talk about him at length was a gift, and I was practically unstoppable much like a bursting dam, spewing fact after fact, ranging from general to obscure, from his songs to his movies to his family and what-have-you in between. I wouldn't call my knowledge encyclopedic (not yet!) but I am rather pleased with myself.. *pats self on the back* Haha!

I also gave her the CD of his songs that I have been looping in my car for the past two months (I'll just burn another copy tomorrow ;)(I don't know when I'd stop playing his songs --- if I could listen to the 15 songs from Wicked over and over and over again for 1.5 months, imagine how long I could do with wlh's 100+ songs.. ^__^

We also renewed our pact to attend his concert ASAP (we would have been making our way down south for his concert in August, but as mentioned, I have $$$ concern.. and I have a wedding up north that weekend)(looking at his past record, his next concert here should be in 2014.. :( sigh, so long more to go!)(FYI he's touring China right now -- his current stop being Shenzhen, yesterday -- right now in the midst of filming a movie)(I don't know how he manages his time, but he does it amazingly well. hat's off to him and his manager!)

So... I've had today's song 競爭對手 Competitor in the Draft folder for a few weeks now. it's one of my favorite and methinks it's well written, one of those that makes your ears perk up at the first listen. it's also one of the longer and more difficult songs to translate (just look at the length of the list of new words/phrases! o_O) and I have not been satisfied with the quality of my translation so I have been sitting on it. giving it another try tonight so here goes nothing. :)


我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離
愛上對手 嘗盡委屈 我怎會死心塌地(怎麼會)
my baby (or, precious), baby, how should i love you?
i gave you my all, got hurt so deep, and yet i can't let go
i fell in love with my match/rival, and it's filled me with grievance
so why am i dead set about persevering?

哦 愛是一齣戲 看誰都是迷 我們拿出最好的武器
拿心撐住你 拿夢圈住我 沒有一樣東西不華麗
不管承諾有多少外衣 不管是否有什麼意義 我們總是全心全意
love is like a play, everyone who is watching is a fan, and we bring out our best weapons
i gave my heart to stand by your side, and you used my dreams to confine me
but everything appears to be fine and dandy
no matter how promises keep changing, no matter if there's any meaning to all these
we just pour our hearts into it

哦 葬了多少心 撲了多少空 回到戰場總讓人窒息
為你演情戲 答案全是戲 我卻不在你心裡
我們之間有多少毛病 愛人之間有什麼道理
There's something waiting for me

how much of my heart is buried within, how much of my time I have devoted to this
returning to the battlefield is suffocating
performing my role in a romantic play for you, all answers were part of the show
i was never in your heart, there's just too much animosity between us
i don't know how to justify us as lovers
there's something waiting for me

(日子充滿殺氣)
你要的世界如今回不去 我想的未來竟然沒有你(想的未來竟然沒有你)
無奈 無力 無語 (再也回不去的回憶裡)
(the days are filled with a murderous aura)
you can't go back today to the life that you want
you are not in the future i hope for
i am helpless, without strength, speechless
(and i can't return to those memories)

競爭對手 牽著我的手 讓我一次明白你要的溫柔
不要都不說 不要都不做 不要千言萬語 徹底到寂寞
my rival is holding my hand
let me understand once more the tenderness that you long for
don't remain silent, don't remain still, don't babble away
when you're completely lonely

秘密會開花 嫉妒會結果 時間不會消滅愛人的怒火
瞬移的轉彎 愛情的深夜 何時才會真的下手
secrets will bloom, jealousy will have its backlash
time will not vanquish a lover's rage/fury
a corner that moved in a blink, the midnight of a romance
when can we start this for real?

競爭對手 怎麼才放手 讓我一次推翻對抗的念頭
眼淚在顫抖 拳頭在軟弱 想要資本征服還是想退縮
my competitor/rival, how do i let go of you?
let me again overthrow the idea of confrontation
you're quivering in tears, my fist becomes weak
i can't decide if i should go ahead and conquer or take a step back and retreat

好勝的決心 怕輸的易感 就算打倒對手我能有什麼
無情不會寄托 濫情會犯錯 走錯方向更會墜落
你要的世界如今回不去 我想的未來竟然沒有你
無奈 無力 無語 (找不到那些回憶)
determined to win, fearing to be susceptible
even if i won over my opponent, what is it to me?
place no hope on ruthlessness
unbridled emotions will lead one to err
going the wrong direction, one will fall further
you can't go back today to the life that you want
you are not in the future i hope for
i am helpless, without strength, speechless
(i've lost those memories)

我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離(怎麼它還不分離)
愛上對手 嘗盡委屈
我怎會死心塌地(怎麼會死心塌地)
my baby, baby, how should i love you?
i gave you my all, got hurt so deep, and yet i can't let go
i fell in love with my match/rival, and it's filled me with grievance
so why am i dead set about persevering?

我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離(怎麼都還不放棄)
碰上對手 才會著迷
你不要轉身離去 (你是個競爭對手)
my baby, baby, how should i love you?
i gave you my all, got hurt so deep, and yet i can't let go (why can't i give up?)
i am just so fascinated when i met my match
you won't turn around and leave (you're my rival/competitor)

today's list of new words
競爭對手 jìngzhēng duìshǒu - competitor
> 競爭 jìngzhēng - competition
> 對手 duìshǒu - adversary, opponent
嘗盡委屈 cháng jǐn wěiqu - filled with grievances
> 嘗 cháng - to taste / to try / already / ever / once -
> 盡 jǐn - to exhaust / to finish / to the utmost / to the limit (of sth)
> 委屈 wěiqu - to feel wronged / to cause sb to feel wronged / grievance
死心塌地 sǐxīntādì - heart is dead, no plans for anything new (idiom); dead set on sth / unswerving
齣 chū - classifier for plays or chapters of classical novels
撐住 chēng zhù - to support / to prop up / to maintain / to open or unfurl / to fill to bursting point / brace
圈 juān - to confine / to lock up / to pen in [also 圈 quān - to surround / to circle]
葬 zàng - to bury
撲 pū - to throw oneself at / to pounce on / to devote one's energies / to flap / to flutter / to dab / to pat / to bend over
戰場 zhànchǎng - battle field
窒息 zhìxí - suffocate, stifling, choke
徹底 chèdǐ - thorough / complete
嫉妒 jídù - jealousy
瞬 shùn - blink
移 yí - shift, moved
消滅 xiāomiè - to put an end to / to annihilate / to cause to perish / to perish / annihilation (in quantum field theory)
怒火 nùhuǒ - rage / fury / hot anger
推翻 tuīfān - to overthrow
對抗 duìkàng - to withstand / to resist / to stand off / antagonism / confrontation
念頭 niàntou - idea / intention
顫抖 chàndǒu - tremble / shiver
資本 zīběn - economics / capital
征服 zhēngfú - to conquer / to subdue / to vanquish
退縮 tuìsuō - to shrink back / to cower / retreat
好勝 hào shèng - eager to win / competitive / aggressive
決心 juéxīn - determination / resolution / to make up one's mind
易感 yì gǎn - susceptible / easily moved
無情 wúqíng - ruthless / merciless / heartless
寄托 jìtuō - to have sb look after sb / to entrust the care of sb / to place (hope etc) on
濫情 làn qíng - overflowing / excessive showing of emotions/feelings
墜落 zhuìluò - to fall / to drop
放棄 fàngqì - give up
碰上 pèng shàng - to touch / to meet with / to bump
著迷 zháomí - to be fascinated / to be captivated

just wanna one extra phrase here -- it is not from the song, but a term lh's used in an interview:
暴发户 bàofā hù - nouveau riche / new money




競爭對手
王力宏

我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離(還不分離)
愛上對手 嘗盡委屈 我怎會死心塌地(怎麼會)

哦 愛是一齣戲 看誰都是迷 我們拿出最好的武器
拿心撐住你 拿夢圈住我 沒有一樣東西不華麗
不管承諾有多少外衣 不管是否有什麼意義
我們總是全心全意(我們全心全意)

哦 葬了多少心 撲了多少空 回到戰場總讓人窒息
為你演情戲 答案全是戲 我卻不在你心裡
我們之間有多少毛病 愛人之間有什麼道理
There's something waiting for me

(日子充滿殺氣)
你要的世界如今回不去 我想的未來竟然沒有你(想的未來竟然沒有你)
無奈 無力 無語 (再也回不去的回憶裡)

我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你(如何愛你)
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離
愛上對手 嘗盡委屈
我怎會死心塌地(怎麼會死心踏地)

競爭對手 牽著我的手 讓我一次明白你要的溫柔
不要都不說 不要都不做 不要千言萬語 徹底到寂寞

秘密會開花 嫉妒會結果 時間不會消滅愛人的怒火
瞬移的轉彎 愛情的深夜 何時才會真的下手

競爭對手 怎麼才放手 讓我一次推翻對抗的念頭
眼淚在顫抖 拳頭在軟弱 想要資本征服還是想退縮
好勝的決心 怕輸的易感 就算打倒對手我能有什麼
無情不會寄托 濫情會犯錯 走錯方向更會墜落
你要的世界如今回不去 我想的未來竟然沒有你
無奈 無力 無語 (找不到那些回憶)

我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離(怎麼它還不分離)
愛上對手 嘗盡委屈
我怎會死心塌地(怎麼會死心塌地)
我的寶貝 寶貝 要如何愛你
愛到底 傷到底 還不分離(怎麼都還不放棄)
碰上對手 才會著迷
你不要轉身離去 (你是個競爭對手)

No comments:

Post a Comment