Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Eminem's 8th studio album, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, dropped today! He's said that this was a continuation and a revisit of his critically acclaimed album from 2000, in the sense that "...on the first Marshall Mathers LP there were some personal things that I addressed and on this record there are some chapters that I wanted to close. [..] It’s more about going back to the basics of hip-hop and some fundamentals in that sense." [via]

Perhaps to make it obvious, both albums share a similar cover, that of the house he grew up in in Detroit. But content- and sound-wise at first impression, they vary quite a bit, and I think that's just awesome! I'm all for artists taking different creative and sound directions in their new albums because the last thing I want is for them to give me the same thing over and over again. I mean, I'm all for comfort and familiarity but if you are going to repackage the same stuff, I might as well listen to the old albums right?

Four of the songs have been released as singles previously (BerzerkSurvivalRap God and Monster feat. Rihanna), and I love them all! Brand me a die-hard fan, but I really do! :P  He's received a lot of criticism for the songs, but really, I think most of the haters are just complaining for the sake of complaining (on the other hand, it is I who probably should stop reading them). But I guess expectations are high because he named the album after his most well-received one, but I don't get why people want him to sound like and come off a replica of himself 13 years ago -- I prefer to see both albums as bookends of his life then and now, and when you listen to everything from then and now, you're elevated to a vantage point where you could see the story of his life panned out and see how far along he has come and understand him better (this goes the same when we evaluate any other artists' body of works).

Anyway, I've pre-ordered the album on iTunes a week ago (yup, while I was traveling in Taiwan -- photos here! =) and was counting down the days for its release, so yeah, am happy it's Nov 5! Well, it leaked onto the Internet on Halloween, but I resisted checking it out until today (I'm stubborn in the most unnecessary way, I know). I got the clean (of course haha!) deluxe version which came with 21 songs. Twenty one! For USD9.99. The prudent chinaman in me is well-pleased at the what a value-for-money this deal was hahah!

Anywayyyy, while I should be checking out all the songs (I really want to!), I haven't been able to because I'm stuck on listening to this one song: Headlights feat. Nate Ruess, a song Em wrote for his estranged mom, apologizing for the past. The two have a turbulent history and she was prominently targeted in many of his earlier songs when he was venting and ranting and screaming about everything in his life. He had said and rapped some really hurtful stuff, justified or not, against her, so I'm glad he's reached the point in his life where he could offer a song like this as a tribute and an apology. I'm really touched at the heartfelt words and I really wish he would be able say this to her face to face one day, and they would reconcile.. Btw Nate Ruess did a wonderful job on his part too. Everything came together so nicely..

So yeah, I'm getting back to the song. I'll probably write again when I get to #21. xoxo.


once you pulled up in our drive one night as we were leaving to get some hamburgers
me, her and Nate, we introduced you, hugged you
and as you left I had this overwhelming sadness come over me
as we pulled off to go our separate paths, and I saw your headlights as I looked back
and I'm mad I didn't get the chance to thank you for being my Mom and my Dad
so Mom, please accept this as a tribute I wrote this on the jet

eminem :: headlights

No comments:

Post a Comment