Wednesday, May 22, 2013

another blast from my past

I have been bingeing on the Jacky Cheung's songs the past three nights. I didn't realise (or rather, have forgotten) that his songs were such a huge part of my younger days, until I started browsing through Youtube and was just singing along to song after song. But then again, I probably only know like 5% of his songs, because according to wiki, he has to-date released 57 albums in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English. O_O

I have been a fan for the longest time, from around the time when I was in early secondary school. And I've always thought that he was the king of the Four Heavenly Kings of Cantopop (the other three being Aaron Kwok, Andy Lau and Leon Lai). He didn't act much, but I remember enjoying the movies he was in, and of course, his songs. That voice! I think he hardly wrote any songs though (maybe it wasn't a trend back then), so talent-wise, I'd think LH > JC la la la.. :D

I wonder if I'd ever get to watch him live. When he came last year for his 1/2 Century Tour, I queued at The Rock Corner for a futile effort to get his tickets. (Well, as I type, I'm tuning into an HD full concert on Youtube. Ah, to be there!) My other dream is to watch that musical Snow. Wolf. Lake, which was written and directed by him. I don't think it ever made its way here, and I've no idea if anyone's gonna revive it, but that would be such a treat!

Anyway, I don't know if I'm going to do a series on Jacky, so I'm just gonna list my favorite tunes (the list is getting longer and longer as I type haha!)
Or.. you could just check this Youtube channel - she has put up HD versions of his songs (and some other singers too).

Just thought I'd translate one of my fav songs here. I find that it's not as easy to translate from Cantonese, I wonder why..



爱是永恒
张学友
作词:林振强    作曲:Dick Lee

有始不有终 能受百样痛
从没有合约合同 但却跨时空
这滔滔不息的爱 我赠给你用
这一生 和下世 有几多全奉送
there was a beginning without an end
enduring a hundred kinds of pain
there was never a need for a contract or an agreement
but crossing over time and space
this endlessly surging love, i present to you
this life, and the next, how much of myself could I give

闭起的眼中 无论重又重
仍是见着你面容 在我心湖中
这份爱 永远都存在
共你同在 无尽永恒中
with my eyes closed, no matter how heavy
i could still see you in my heart's heart
this love will forever exist
together with you in eternity

有着我便有着你 真爱是永不死 穿过喜和悲 跨过生和死
有着我便有着你 千个万个世纪 绝未离弃 爱是永恒当所爱是你
where there's me, there's you, true love will not die
through joy or tears, crossing over life and death
where there's me, there's you
not a thousand or ten thousand lifetimes could separate us
love is eternal when all that's loved is you

两手虽似空 其实抱着你
其实你没有别离 在我心湖中
每掠过 也似风撩动
令这湖上 无尽爱浪涌
although my hands looks empty, they are actually embracing you
you've never left my heart's heart
every fleeting moment is like wind stirred up
and causes the endless love on this lake to surge

No comments:

Post a Comment