Tuesday, May 21, 2013

the bright side #4

I don't know if I have shared this before.. it's from a long time ago. I would find it very hard to grapple with this kind of loss. And I would like to think that friendship is one of the most amazing gifts we could ever receive in life.
#829 Smiling and thinking of good friends who are gone
So I came across this quote again today from S's FB note, which I think fit so well with that post. I don't remember having read it before, but I saw my 'Like' so I guess I did. :P
“When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.

For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost. When I'm feeling most ghost-like, it is your remembering me that helps remind me that I actually exist. When I'm feeling sad, it's my consolation. When I'm feeling happy, it's part of why I feel that way.

If you forget me, one of the ways I remember who I am will be gone. If you forget, part of who I am will be gone. "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." the good thief said from his cross (Luke 23:42). There are perhaps no more human words in all of Scripture, no prayer we can pray so well.”

- Frederick Buechner, American writer and theologian -
*******
The level of awesomeness is this video is astronomical (pun very much intended)! It's recorded by Commander Chris Hadfield on board the International Space Station, who did a revised version of David Bowie's Space Oddity. From a SPACE STATION. Srsly, I think the fact that this video exists is just mind blowing. Like, WOW.

Check out the original version by David Bowie here. Check out xkcd's take on this, which btw was how I got to know about the vid. And oh, one of my fav bits from that write-up was this tidbit:
The Larrivée Parlor acoustic guitar in the video went up years ago on the Space Shuttle, and astronauts have been playing it ever since. Given that launch costs at the time were between $20,000 and $30,000 per pound, the cost to send up the guitar was probably in the neighborhood of $75,000.



    ******* 
    A capella artist, Yeo Inhyeok, does another amazing cover, this time of Michael Jackson's Bad. The very thought that our humble vocal chords could produce something so complicated (computer technology notwithstanding) is just astounding. How do they do this?!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment