Monday, April 2, 2012

coursing through my veins

my aimless lazy Sunday afternoon was saved by a call. Lil called me at 1.30pm asking if i was free then. I said I was, and she asked if I was interested in attending a show at MPO cos she has a free tic (her friend couldn't make it last min). FREE + MPO = sounds good! I agreed without even asking what the show was! Since the show was at 3, I quickly washed up and got to the Box Office in time to wait for Lil and her friend. I picked up a brochure, just to see what I got myself into (pic below). Oooh ahhhh.. :P
We caught this show. Fitz-Gerald was really engaging and funny as a conductor. Ellington was smooth and superb .

And I fell in love the moment I walked into the hall.And till the end of the show two hours later, I felt so much joy just bubbling over in my tummy. I don't remember the entire set list, but the ones I liked most are the ones I've heard before: Bernstein's theme song for The Magnificent Seven (a.k.a. the Marlboro song hehe..), Henry Mancini's Moon River (Breakfast at Tiffany), As Time Goes By (Casablanca), You'll Be in My Heart (Tarzan), Tan Dun's A Love Before Time (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon), John William's Jaws theme song...

Throughout, my eyes swept the sight from left to right and left again, just mesmerised by the synchronous fiddles over the violins and cellos and double basses, and my ears trying not to miss the sounds from the harp and piano and trumpets and percussion and other instruments I couldn't name.. I tried to close my eyes to enjoy the show but I felt like I would be depriving myself of a visual feast. But I did, for one say. You could say all in all, I was very engaged. Haha truly a wide-eyed bushy-tailed n00b!

Ya know, the only other time I've seen an orchestra was at another free event back in... 2006? It was a youth jazz orchestra from.. I can't remember where, but it was the same exhilaration that I felt. Just amazing! With that, therefore, I cannot justify why I have not been to more shows! I am ashamed to admit that Sunday was my first show at the MPO. Having worked at KLCC for the past three plus years and never having stepped foot into the Philharmonic hall.. PREPOSTEROUS, I say! Haha.. Hope to make up for the discrepancy soon.. ^_^

I took this pic before I was told that it was prohibited to do so. Oops! ;) When I walked in to this, I felt like floating already -- there was an instant connection to the sight and sounds. Sigh.   


No comments:

Post a Comment